Truth: I did not like mayonnaise, until I learned how to make it myself. I’m currently in the middle of a round of Whole30 and a lot of the quick meals I like to make for lunch need mayo. My husband asked me ‘if mayonnaise just has oil and egg and a few ingredients why can’t I have regular Hellmanns?!’ So I looked up the ingredients listed on Hellmanns website and read the ingredients: “soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice concentrate, calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality), natural flavors.” No thank you, my mayo has 3 main ingredients, an optional spice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Done!
What You’ll Need:
- Immersion blender
- Jar with a lid to blend
- 1 1/4 cup of Light Tasting Olive Oil (regular olive oil is a no go in this!)
- 1 ROOM TEMPERATURE EGG
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard Powder
- Generous Pinch of Salt and Pepper (Use White Pepper or Omit entirely)
- Add all of the ingredients to a mason jar.
- Place an immersion blender flat on bottom of the mason jar and turn your immersion blender on, (my immersion blender is really cheap and only has two speeds, so I use the low speed)
- Once the bottom starts to turn thick and white start to move the blender up and down until all is emulsified.
- This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to one month.
NOTE: I have tried this in my Magic Bullet, Vitamix and food processor, the cheap immersion blender is the only thing that works! Also, it is so important to make sure that the blade of the immersion blender is flush to the bottom of the jar when starting to emulsify- If you don’t you’ll just end up with a disgusting oily mess and a waste of oil.